Darwin Awards winners
An alcoholic who died after giving himself a sherry enema has won the 2007 Darwin Award.
The Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve the gene pool by accidentally removing themselves from it.
The 58-year-old Texan couldn’t ingest alcohol by mouth because of painful medical problems with his throat.
He took to taking alcohol by enema instead but died after taking two 1.5 litre bottles of sherry.
First runners-up, and Double Darwin winners, were a young South Carolina couple, both 21, found naked and dead in the road in the early hours.
Police were initially baffled, until they found two sets of neatly folded clothes on top of a nearby building with a pyramid-shaped roof.
Other runners-up included:
An East German man who electrocuted himself when he tried to get rid of moles by pounding metal rods into the ground and connecting them to a high-voltage power line.
A West Virginia man who was crushed while dismantling a rundown barn. He fired up his chainsaw and ripped through a crucial support post, bringing down the whole structure on himself.
An Illinois man who won a game of chicken to see who could stay on a railway line the longest in the path of an oncoming train.
And a 29-year-old computer tutor who was killed in California while driving and working on his laptop at the same time. He was killed by oncoming traffic.
Vodpod videos no longer available.